Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Nationally Certified Teacher of Music (NCTM)--What does that mean?

I was so excited to receive this certificate,
but sad that it already has a dent. 


Today I received my Permanent Professional Certified Teacher of Music in Piano credential given by MTNA (Music Teachers National Association). To become Nationally Certified was quite a process: I had to take a comprehensive pedagogy test, provide proof that my students participate actively in recitals, festivals and competitions, provide proof of myself as a performer and accompanist, show my knowledge and understanding of students cognitive and social growth as pianists to develop a course of study for each student, show basic professional and ethical business practice, etc. After meeting and maintaining the Certification Standards for 12 years, I now hold the Permanent Professional Certification status. For the public, certification helps readily identify competent music teachers in their communities. When looking up teachers, you may find "NCTM" after their name. This means they are a Nationally Certified Teacher of Music.

"The MTNA certification program provides perhaps the single best indicator to our society that MTNA and its members view the teaching of music as a profession requiring not only dedication but intense preparation." R. Wayne Gibson, NCTM


No comments:

Post a Comment